The JESSOP Consultancy

Lichfield + Sheffield + Oxford

The Chantry House,

Bakewell

Grade II* Listed Building; Conservation Area

Historic Building Recording for Restoration and Refurbishment

OASIS: thejesso1-241 539

A detailed programme of archaeological recording and structural analysis has been undertaken prior to and during the restoration and refurbishment of the 16th Century Chantry House in Bakewell.

The building was formerly the residence of the chantry priest at All Saints Church and was of such local significance that it was visited by the prominent 18th century historians Samuel Pegge and Major Rooke in 1781, whose observations were published by the Society of Antiquaries.

The building has been surveyed and a b/w photographic record produced prior to any site works commencing and a structural watching brief has been maintained during the restoration programme. Reused medieval roof timbers have been identified within the roof space, human remains have been excavated from the flooring deposits and material culture in the form of toys, pennies and marbles have been recovered from below the floors.

Scope of work: measured survey, photography survey, structural watching brief, archaeological watching brief during ground-works

The building has been surveyed and a b/w photographic record produced prior to any site works commencing and a structural watching brief has been maintained during the restoration programme.